Monday, July 28, 2008

Sad/Happy Day

Last Saturday was a bittersweet day at the Steele house. Our little bird family has flown the coop...literally! I was mowing and noticed that the large baby robin who usually sat on the rim of the nest was not there. I checked the nest...it was empty! I looked around and found the largest robin baby in the window well, just sitting there. OK, I thought. Let's wait and see what happens. The mom and dad birds were still close making racket because I was LOOKING at their baby. The next morning I heard the robin family squaking to wakeup the morning. I heard the baby talking to mom and dad for about an hour. After I got up and completed my morning chores, I looked for the baby bird...and it was gone!! I looked to the trees and saw no one! All I can think is that the racket that had taken place was the parents convincing the baby up into the trees. Fly away baby...have a wonderful life. I went home for lunch today and was was not greeted at my front door by the parents or anyone else. Sniff. The empty nest remains as a testament to how quickly nature moves. Cherish them while you have them because tomorrow the nest will be empty.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Brad and I will be there in a couple days.

    C U then.... :-)

    ReplyDelete